Monday, August 27, 2012

What to Read

On my Investment Talk blog I am today writing about The North West Company. Today, I am discussing the stock price and what analysts say about this stock. To read about this stock go here....

I am doing this entry because I get asked to suggest what a novice investor should read. I think that if you want to learn about investing today I would suggest reading some blogs rather than any particular book. I know that some people find investing intimating and complex. The great thing about blogs is that most blog entries do not take long to read and over a period of time, you can gain a good understanding of investing.

I write about specific companies, about such things as ratios and secular verses cyclical markets, etc. and these are all good things. However, if you are a novice investor, you may not understand all of this. (I have had complains.) Also, a number of people have asked me about what book should they read to learn about investing.

So, I want to introduce you to a number of investment bloggers I like. I feel they have great blogs that offer great information to the novice investor. Over the next couple of weeks, I will be talking about each blogger and what they have to offer the novice investor.

My blog list and dates for blog entry:
Dividend Ninja on September 10, 2012;
The Loonie Bin on August 29, 2012;
My Own Advisor on September 12, 2012;
Dividend Monk on September 04, 2012;
The Dividend Guy on September 06, 2012 and
The Passive Income Earner on September 17, 2012.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. See my website for stocks followed and investment notes. Follow me on twitter.

2 comments:

  1. agree totally, blogs are an excellent source of (un)biased information. The only thing is that sometimes a book will organize or present the information a bit better.

    But two questions.

    First do/did you buy stocks based on dividend increases or potential for capital gains. I noticed your comment on another blog about dividend increases.

    Secondly what about "blue chips" vs Dividend Aristocrats

    Reason for this is that the dividend aristocrats stocks are not exactly call well known stocks.

    Thanks Rob

    BTW is it possible to get a copy of spread sheet with larger print, eyes are getting old and can barely see the numbers:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People have asked me about books and I have read a lot, but I do not know any I can recommend for novice investors.

      I think you have to be careful of taking companies off any list, whether it is called "blue chip" or "dividend aristocrats". Your criteria for a good company to invest in may not be the same as the one who made of the list.

      To get larger print, you can probably just press ctrl and "+". Part of the problem with using excel to generate HTM documents is that you do not have much control, although I do go into the the htm documents to adjust some things that excel conversion does not get right.

      However, if you want a particular spreadsheet, just email me and I will send it on.

      Delete