Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Montreal Gazette Portfolio

This portfolio was lunched some 18 years ago with Quebec companies and $100,000. It is currently worth over $800,000. The portfolio is up some 703% or has gained 12.3% per year. This is very good and shows what can be done buying some good stocks and not trading much. The portfolio manager is Christine Décarie.

There seems to be only one rule and that is changes can only be made at the end of each month. This is not the same group of stocks she started with but neither has she changed it that much. She does not do changes every month, just some months.

Not all of the stocks are dividend stocks. However if you are building a portfolio, you do not need all dividend stocks. You do not need to make brilliant choices about what stocks you buy. What you need to do is pick some decent stocks at a reasonable price and invest for the long term. I must admit that I still get the occasional non-dividend paying stock to each some extra money for the trading account.

The stocks in this portfolio are shown below. There is a recent write-up on this portfolio by Paul Delean of the Montreal Gazette.

Company Ticker Dividend
Lumenpulse Inc. LMP 0.00%
Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc. ATD.B 0.46%
Laurentian Bank of Canada LB 4.89%
Canadian National Railway Co CNR 1.78%
Quebecor Inc. QBR.B 0.45%
Mediagrif Interactive Technologies Inc. MDF 2.21%
Uni Select Inc. UNS 1.10%
CGI Group Inc. GIB.A 0.00%
Stella-Jones Inc. SJ 0.94%
Fiera Capital Corp FSZ 5.06%
Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc. IAG 2.76%
Heroux-Devtek Inc. HRX 0.00%
SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. SNC 1.86%
Boralex Inc. BLX 2.97%
Canam Group Inc. CAM 1.61%


On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Superior Plus Corp. (TSX-SPB, OTC-SUUIF)... learn more. Tomorrow, I will write about Andrew Peller Ltd. (TSX-ADW.A, OTC-ADWPF)... learn more on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 around 10 am.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment