Thursday, April 27, 2017

The Other Side

First I would like to say that I today bought some 200 shares of Home Capital Group at $6.80. I had bought shares in this company in March of this year and have, of course, lost money on them. The market has probably overreacted, but there are tons of problems at this company. Now I will just wait and see how this turns out. I believe that I will have a loss in any event, but perhaps not as great as if I sold today.

This is a very interesting blog by Michael Batnick on The Irreverent Investor . One section I find very interesting is how few stock do well over the longer term. Relatively few stocks tend to do most of the wealth creation by stocks. So he feel that you should try to avoid bad stocks rather than focusing on good stocks. (By the way, CRSP is Center for Research in Security Prices.)

Reading this made me add another column to my Index to my stocks with column entitled Total Return. This will show the IRR I have made over the time I held a stock. Currently I have 50 stocks and of these 2 I have just bought so I do not have IRR values on this. Of the other 48 stocks, I have made a profit on 41 and have a loss on 7. Of these 48 stocks I have 33 stocks with an IRR of 8% or higher. See spreadsheet on this here.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Power Financial Corp. (TSX-PWF, OTC-POFNF)... learn more. Tomorrow, I will write about WSP Global Inc. (TSX-WSP, OTC- WSPOF)... learn more on Friday, April 28, 2017 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram with #walktoronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment