Thursday, February 16, 2017

Take Your Time

I just bought stock for the money I had put into my TFSA account this year. It took me a while to decide what I wanted to do with this money. I finally decided to buy some more Evertz Technologies (TSX-ET, OTC-EVTZF). I could not at first decide what stock to buy so I just paused for a while.

Evertz Technologies (TSX-ET, OTC-EVTZF) is a small cap stock that I first bought in 2011. I have done well with a 12.20% total return per year. Most of the return is in dividends with the capital gains at 4.46% per year and the dividends at 7.74% per year. This is considered to be a Tech stock.

Rather than make a mistake in what you invest in, if you are unsure, perhaps it is best to take some time to review your options.

I plainly remember one time I did this before. It was when my portfolio was increasing fast. It took me 11 years to get $100,000 and then just 14 more to have enough to stop working. After I got to $100,000, my portfolio started to increase quite fast. I thought about getting a financial advisor and talked to a few. I also talked to people at the Money Show. In the end I decided to continue investing myself but I am glad I took time to consider where I wanted to go and what I wanted to invest in.

Pausing for while might have slowed down my returns but overall I have done well. So I think it was fine for me to take a pause every once in a while because I have done well overall.

This sort of thinking came up in a book I recently read called Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. There are reviews of this book Amazon. You might also want to look at reviews at Good Reads. They often have very good reviews.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about ARC Resources Ltd. (TSX-ARX, OTC-AETUF)... learn more. Tomorrow, I will write about Home Capital Group (TSX-HCG, OTC- HMCBF)... learn more on Friday, February 17, 2017 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter.

3 comments:

  1. That's an excellent piece of advice. It gets harder to select stocks to buy when market has gone up. All the good stocks are very expensive. One has to be patient and wait for a good price to enter.

    Renewed investor

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good investor to explain everything like that. I so appreciate your posts. I am currently experiencing the same thing you did years ago. I hit on a net work of 100k 3 years ago and now, I am very close to the 200k.

    It is very true: once investors hit on the 100k, after that is just fire rocket. Do we need really any more proofs to show that the TSX is the stock market to be on?

    At a point, after putting a lot of money on the market, it can get hard to put more cash in. And its always a matter of what to invest in. Its a continue search and find to have the perfect portfolio. Mine is not perfect despite being having close to 200k.

    I have something for you Susan, my newest stock pick: Toromont Industries Ltd (TIH). I think its the kind of stock you may like. I am dreaming of reading your review of that stock - just an idea if you like to review new ones.

    It would be fun to have your son start a blog. It could be interesting to see if he has his mommy skills! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had TIH since 2007 and have made a total return of 10.97% per year.

      Delete