Monday, August 17, 2015

Update Notes 2

When I review stock price and dividends each month, I also take the opportunity to look at a bit closer at some of the stocks I cover. These are the 5 other stocks I looked at more closely.

SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. (TSX-SNC, OTC-SNCAF)

I have had stock in this company since 1989 and it comprises about 2% of my portfolio at the present time. It has had problems over the past few years, but seems to be turning itself around. There is a recent Motley Fools article on this stock. (Note that sometimes you need to use a browsers arrows at the top left side of the page to go out and back into a Motley Fools article to get the whole article.)

TransAlta Corp (TSX-TA, NYSE-TAC)

This company cut their dividend by some 37% in 2014 because it was having difficulties. The earnings could no longer cover the dividends. Now this company is being charged by the Alberta Utilities Commission for deliberately timed outages at power plants in Alberta at peak times in order to drive up electricity prices. See an article in the Financial Post about this. The company has previously denied the allegations. This has caused a recent decline in the share price.

In other news, the company has recently brought solar and wind power generation capacity in the U.S. The company has been working to reduce its reliance on coal-fired power plants.

Ensign Energy Services Inc. (TSX-ESI, OTC-ESVIF)

Recent recommendations seem to be Holds. Most of the recommendations on this stock are Holds. With the drop in oil prices and fear of NDP royalty review oil and gas producers have stopped talking to oil services companies like Ensign.

PFB Corp (TSX-PFB, OTC-PFBOF)

This stock is up 44% from last month. The most recent new is a very good second quarter .

Suncor Energy Inc. (TSX-SU, NYSE-SU)

This is an energy company that increased its dividends. This is interesting. There is a recent report on this company at Motley Fool.

On my other blog I am today writing about Newfoundland Capital Corp. (TSX-NCC, OTC-none) ... continue...

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment