Monday, November 9, 2015

Update Notes

When I review stock price and dividends each month, I also take the opportunity to look at a bit closer at some of the stocks I cover. These some of the stocks I looked at more closely.

Bombardier Inc. (TSX-BBD.B, OTC-BDRBF)

In an article in the Canadian Business Magazine, Ross Marowits of the Canadian Press talks about how Bombardier has not finished initiatives aimed at shoring up the company's financial position. Bombardier has just gotten $1-billion lifeline from the Quebec government

However, not everyone is keen about this move by the Quebec Government. See some comments about this in the Montreal Gazette.

McCoy Global Inc. (TSX-MCB, OTC-MCCRF)

This company has suspended its dividend in the third quarter of 2015 because it is uncertain when oil prices will recover. This company services the oil business. See the September 3, 2015 News Release.

TransAlta Corp (TSX-TA, NYSE-TAC)

I have had this company since 1987. I have been worried about it for a while. I was recently at the Money Show in Toronto and one speaker said that TransAlta has been destroying shareholder value for the last 15 years. This is a bit harsh. But they did reduce their dividend by some 38% in 2015 as they are having problems.

They do have a strategic plan for move this company forward. Most analysts are rather negative on this stock at present and feel that if you want to invest in the utility sector there are better choices. One analyst said that it will take them 6 months or longer to turn around.

One problem is that they are using coal to generate electricity and most governments and people want this changed. This is probably now a bigger problem with the new NDP government in Alberta.

Smart REIT (TSX-SRU.UN, OTC-CWYUF)

For whatever reason, so many sites have not updated to the new name. I went on the TD site today and they are still calling this stock in Canada as Calloway Real Estate Investment Trust (TSX-CWT.UN) although for the for the OTC entry they called this stock Smart REIT. Under another site they call the company Smart REIT but give the old TSX symbol of CWT.UN.

The company announced the change on July 6, 2015 and said they expected the change to be effective July 8, 2015. For their website, you get the same one whether you go to callowayreit.com or smartreit.ca. However, the usual way websites work is that if there is a name change, the address on the browser changes to the correct one when you enter an address. In this case the web address says either as callowayreit.com or smartreit.ca.

You have to wonder what the problem with this change is.

On my other blog I am today writing about TransForce Inc. (TSX-TIF, OTC-TFIFF) ... learn more...

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment