Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Dividend Cuts

Recently my portfolio has had a number of stocks that either increased or decreased their dividends. The TransAlta stock was especially a big dividend cut. I wanted to look at my overall portfolio and see what the net effect of these changes were.

What I found is that my total dividends were decreased by 0.16% from just prior to these changes to just after these changes. So this is basically a wash. However, my dividend income has increased by 1.8% when I compare last year's dividend income to that just after these changes.

The dividend changes are listed below:

Stocks Symbol Price New Div Old Div Diff
CDN National Railway CNR $75.95 $1.50 $1.25 20.00%
Metro Inc. MRU $41.41 $0.56 $0.47 19.97%
Richelieu Hardware RCH $67.64 $0.64 $0.60 6.67%
Mullen Group MTL $15.02 $0.96 $1.20 -20.00%
TransAlta TA $4.92 $0.16 $0.72 -77.78%


This seems in line with what I have experienced in the past. I have never had my dividend income decrease year over year at any time.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Goodfellow Inc. (TSX-GDL, OTC-GFELF)...learn more. Tomorrow, I will write about Bombardier Inc. (TSX-BBD.B, OTC-BDRBF)... learn more on Wednesday, February 24, 2016. On this blog I will next be writing about Stocks for the Long Run Part 2... learn more on Thursday, February 25, 2016.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. Follow me on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. Morning SP
    A truely disasterous year. The only account that I can truely calculate, because it is a Locked In account, has fallen from a 10% yearly growth rate over it's 12 year life to just an 8% yearly growth rate. That is with stock appreciation and re-invested dividends.
    Aside from that everything else is OK

    RICARDO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you had a disasterous year.

      On the other hand a 8% return is currently a good return.

      Susan

      Delete