Monday, November 24, 2014

October 2014 Market Correction

How did my portfolio do in connection with the market correction we had in October 2014? If you have dividend paying stocks, it should not correct as much as the market does.

I look at the TSX Index on August 29, 2014 and the one for October 21, 2014. The numbers were 15,558.17 and 15111.13. So from the end of August 2014 to last Friday, October 21, 2014 the TSX Index is down by 2.87%.

I look at my portfolio on August 29, 2014 and for October 21, 2014. I converted by US account into CDN$ based on the exchange rates of August 29, 2014 and for October 21, 2014. I added back into my account all monies taken out and subtracted any new money. My portfolio is up by 1.09% since the end of August 2014.

I have put into my TFSA account some riskier dividend paying small cap stocks. This account is down by 4.42%. I started this account in 1997. My US account in US$ is down by 2.18% but in CDN$ it is up by 1.24%.

My oldest account, where I have stocks dating back to the early 1980's, is up by 3.07%. I did not start this account until 1986, but I had stocks before then and placed them in this account. My RRSP account, started in 1995 is down by 1.24% and my RRIF account, started in 1998 is down by 0.09%. (I had some locked in pension money and could only access it by an RRIF account.)

On my other blog I am today writing about Keyera Corp. (TSX-KEY, OTC-KEYUF) ... continue...

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. Follow me on Twitter.

3 comments:

  1. Hi SP;
    I haven't looked too much at the portfolio values except for one which is a LIRA (locked in) as I can not put any money in to it and can only reinvest the dividends. That one, since inception in 2003, has had grown by an average of just over 10% per year with capital gains and dividend reinvestment.
    The other accounts TFSA and RRSP get money put in to max them out so I don't really look at the value too much.

    My basic investment premise is to get a 10% increase in dividends yr to yr. So the TFSA and RRSP get maxed out every year along with dividend reinvestment and the non-registed fund goes through some buying and selling as well as having to pay off the HELOC service interest.
    As long as I am getting my 10% increase in divs yr to yr I am fairly content - hopefully no crash.
    So how am I doing with the divs?
    From 2010 to 2011 >47% This is partially explained because I was dumping mutual funds and investing in stocks
    2011 - 2012 >37%
    2012 - 2013 > 17%
    2013 - 2014 >29%
    So far for 2015 I am on track to meet the 10% increase even with a few dividend cuts that have happened with the oil guys. As of the end of May I will be just below the 6 month 10% and there is still June to put in. Naturally the divs increase as the year progresses with the reinvested dividends I receive.

    Have a good weekend

    RICARDO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed in bear markets that my dividend growth goes down. This is the real effect as my portfolio has always recovered.

      Delete
  2. P.S. I guess my 29% increase for 2014 beats the CPP return

    ReplyDelete