Tuesday, May 9, 2017

If I Knew Then 4

My adventures in Mutual Funds have been mixed. I tried investing in Mutual Funds. With all the hype about Mutual Funds, I thought I should invest in them. After all they were managed by investment experts. They should do better than me that was just leaning. Turn out not to be true. The stocks I invested in did mostly better than the mutual funds.

On May 4, 1982 I invested in the Royal Bank's Equity Fund. I held it until 29 April 1997 which is 15 years. My total return was 12.59% per year. Over the same time period the TSX index showed an increase of 9.2% per year. So it would appear I did well with this.

I invested in Mackenzie Financial Corp's Industrial Growth Fund January 9, 1985. I held it until December 31, 1987, which is almost 3 years. My total return was 5.18% per year. Over the same time period the TSX index showed an increase of 10.2% per year. Here I got a positive return but it was lower than the market.

On January 30, 1992 I invested in Altamira's Equity Fund. I sold this on October 16, 1998. This is just over 6 years. My total return was 5.7% per year. Over the same time period the TSX index showed an increase of 7.5% per year. This was a positive return and only a few percentage points below the TSX.

On February 9, 1993 I invested in Altamira's Special Growth Fund. I did $100 investment every month until February 1997 when I reduced my monthly purchases is $75 per month. I stopped my monthly investments in December 1997. I sold this on October 7, 1998. So I held this fund for almost 6 years. My total return is a negative 0.2% per year. Over the same time period the TSX index showed an increase of 8.7% per year. This investment did quite poorly.

This is the fourth of a series of blogs called "If I knew now". In February of 2017 I started this series saying that If I Knew Then when I started investing what I know now, I would have only invested in Canadian Dividend Growth stocks. My first entry was about investing in US stocks in the blog If I Knew Then 2. In the next entry I talk about investing in international stocks under If I Knew Then 3.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about McCoy Global Inc. (TSX-MCB, OTC-MCCRF)... learn more. Tomorrow, I will write about TFI International (TSX -TFII, OTC-TFIFF)... learn more on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment