Thursday, September 20, 2018

Toronto Money Show

I spent Friday and Saturday last week at the Toronto Money Show at the Toronto Convention Center on Front Street.

The first thing that I noticed is that there was an awful lot more people at this money show than at previous money shows. It reminded me of the Financial Form Show (the precursor to the Money Show) that occurred prior to the 2000 Bear Market. That show seemed to the largest attendance to date for the Financial Forum. The next year the attendance drop dramatically and the following year the show was moved to the north convention centre from the south one, which is a larger spot.

The other thing that was noticeable was that there were a lot of session on both marijuana stocks and ETFs. These are both very popular topics at the moment. It seems everyone is talking about making money on marijuana stocks. ETFs are very popular as a passive investment and lots of unsophisticated investors are into these. It would seem that passive investment is popular and strong. I should point out that I am neither into marijuana stocks nor ETFs. I tend not to invest in the next big thing.

My disappointment was I did not come out of this show with at least one new stock to investigate. Other years I would pick up several stocks that were recommended by different speakers that I would be interested in investigating. This year there was not stock mentioned that I did not already know about.

Another thing to mention is that it came up at the show that the S&P TSX has a new category of Telecommunications Services. This index has just 3 stocks in it of BCE Inc. (TSX-BCE). Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX-RCI.B) and TELUS Corporation (TSX-T). It was said that this category now includes Telcom Services, Media, and Entertainment. I cannot google anything to verify this, but the description is true for US markets.

So, the categories now for the TSX are:

Consumer Discretionary
Consumer Staples
Energy
Financials
Health Care

Industrials
Information Technology
Materials
Real Estate
Telecommunication Services
Utilities

The last thing I wanted to mention was that Money Sense Magazine again put on a roster of speakers on Saturday. Although I did not attend any of these sessions, I looked into them other years and they were great for unsophisticated investors.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Telus Corp. (TSX-T, NYSE-TU) ... learn more. Next, I will write about Wajax Corp. (TSX-WJX, OTC-WJXFF) ... learn more on Friday, September 21, 2018 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment