Thursday, November 22, 2018

Money Show 2018 – Landon Whaley

Landon Whaley talked in one of the Strategies sessions on Saturday His talk was called “The Primary Forces Impacting Asset Prices and the Critical Shift in the US Investing Playbook That No One is Discussing.”. He is CEO of Whaley Capital Group. His site is here.

Investors need to realize markets will go to the mean. When risks are higher, they should go defensive. Investors need to know when stocks are expensive or cheap. The S&P500 is up 35% and European Market stocks are up by 11.5%. The Canadian market is up 3.5%. The ACWI ETF is the worldwide ETF and it is going sideways. The ACWX ETF excludes the US and is doing down. It is cheap. The tariff wars are making it cheap.

The EEM, which is emerging markets are cheap. When this breaks out it will also need a confirmation of a Trade Deal. EFA is Europe and Asia and it is below normal. The US market is almost expensive. NASDAQ is on an uptrend and is expensive to the world. The Dow Jones, compared to the rest of the world, is expensive.

The TSX is underperforming the S&P500. It is really cheap compared to the S&P500. It is more neutral when compared to worldwide markets. The US market is going up and the European market is going sideways.

The Canadian market consists of financial, material, energy, and industrial stocks. The US$ is stable as is oil. He suggests investors take the Canadian Securities Course. He thinks that the Practical Index Investing for Canadians course by John Robertson is good.. Another suggested course is Money After Graduation by Bridget Casey. Ellen Roseman teaches a course at U of T. Her site is here.

Books to read are Millionaire Teacher by Andrew Hallam with a site here and they Value of Simple: A Practical Guide to Taking the Complexity Out of Investing by John Robertson. You also might want to look at the website called Young and Thrifty.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about PFB Corp. (TSX-PFB, OTC-PFBOF) ... learn more. Next, I will write about Innergex Renewable Energy (TSX-INE, OTC-INGXF) ... learn more on Friday, November 23, 2018 around 5 pm

This blog is meant for educational purposes only and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment