Tuesday, June 27, 2023

My Investment Style

My investment style is to be in dividend growth companies for the long term. They do not need to raise dividend each year, but the dividends do need to grow. Generally, I do not invest for passive income. I would go for a lower yield and dividend growth rather than a higher yield and little or no growth.

I do not invest in the next great thing. I do miss some booms, like digital currencies (like Bitcoin) or cannabis companies. But often the next great thing is a bust or you are too late to make any money.

Currently, I am mostly investing in Canada. I have extremely little in the US and no international stock. I have no bonds. Although in the past I did invest in the US, internationally and in bonds. I have no desire to do that again.

I starting investing in 1971 with the purchase of a segregated fund. Segregated funds are sold by insurance companies and they are mutual funds with a guaranteed return. For example, my had a guarantee that after 10 years I could get my initial money back. I have tracked the TSX from 1956 and there was only 1 ten year period where the stock market was lower (1974). I sold this fund to buy furniture in 1972.

I opened a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) account in 1973 and bought an GIC for it. At that time RRSP were really being pushed as the way the save money for the future. Interest rates were high and they were only going to get higher. For most years, until I stopped working in 1999, I put money into a RRSP.

My first investment, outside of the RRSP was in 1978 when I bought a Canada Saving Bonds. Then you could buy them on a monthly plan and either get a bond or the money in November of the following year. I bought my last bond in 1983 and then got out of Canada Savings Bonds. I sold my last bond in 2007 and it was a CIBC bond for 30 years at 10%.

My first stock purchase was in 1982 when I bought 50 shares of BCE. After that I bought Canadian, US and International stock. I have done best in Canadian stock and currently I have just that, Canadian Stocks. I have stock in Utilities, Financials, Consumers, and Industrials mostly. I also have some Real Estate and Tech stocks and 1% in Energy stocks.

I have opened a Tax Free Savings Account (TFSA) and I am doing something different with this. I am looking for future great companies. I taking chances on small companies, mostly dividend paying and seeing how they progress.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Parkland Fuel Corp (TSX-PKI, OTC-PKIUF) ... learn more. Next, I will write about Saputo Inc (TSX-SAP, OTC-SAPIF) ... learn more on Wednesday, June 28, 2023 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment