Thursday, April 25, 2019

Montreal Gazette Portfolio

This portfolio was lunched some 18 years ago with Quebec companies and $100,000. It was worth over $800,000 in August 2016. At that time portfolio is up some 703% or has gained 12.3% per year. I was disappointed to see that the portfolio has been discontinued in November 30 2016. However, I wondered how the stocks would have fared going forward today.

Since November 30, 2016, two stocks have been taken private. They are Canam Group Inc. (TSX-CAM) and Lumenpulse Inc (TSX-LMP). Both stocks produced a profit for the portfolio when taken private.

Without the above two stocks, the portfolio would have been worth $721,543.35 at November 30, 2016 and today be worth $689,537.02 which a drop of 1.89% per year. If we include the above stocks in November 30, 2016 portfolio, it would have been worth $811,605.75 at that time. If we add in the sale prices for these stocks as current cash, the portfolio would be worth $802,652.72 today for a loss of just 0.46% per year.

The above does not take into consideration the dividends paid on these stocks. As far as I can see, the yield on the portfolio on 6 April 2018 was 2.57% per year. If this yield continued, then the portfolio would currently be in positive territory. That is the current total return would be 0.68% with 2.57% from dividends and loss of $1.89%.

Below are the stocks still left in this portfolio.

Company Ticker
Couche-Tard (ATD.B) ATD.B
Laurentian Bank of Canada LB
Canadian National Railway Co CNR
Quebecor Inc. QBR.B
Mediagrif Interactive Technologies Inc. MDF
Uni Select Inc. UNS
CGI Group Inc. GIB.A
Stella-Jones Inc. SJ
Fiera Capital Corp FSZ
Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc. IAG
Heroux-Devtek Inc. HRX
SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. SNC
Boralex Inc. BLX


Here is the link to the August 8, 2017 article in the gazette which talks about the valuation for July 2016. Here is the link to the December 12, 2016 article which talks about the November 30, 2016 valuation. Here is the link to the December 12, 2016 article which calls the end to this portfolio.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about SNC-Lavalin Group Inc (TSX-SNC, OTC-SNCAF) ... learn more. Next, I will write about Fortis Inc. (TSX-FTS, OTC-FRTSF) ... learn more on Friday, April 26, 2019 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment