Monday, April 14, 2014

What's in Your Portfolio

Even though the TSX is quite full of resource stock, I have very little in this category. This is because you cannot just tuck this sort of stock away in your portfolio for the long term. If you have these stocks you have to always be keeping an eye on them.

For most other sorts of stock, if you look at them once a year, I think that is basically fine. Of course, all sorts of stocks can cause you problems. Examples are Insurance Companies in Financial Services, Reitman's in Consumers, TransAlta in Utilities, and SNC-Lavelin in Industrials.

Below is a chart of what I have in each sector. I have always had a lot of my portfolio in Financial Services and Utilities. For resources, I generally have had between 1 and 2% in this sector.

Sector Percentage
Financial Service   28.19%
Utilities 25.32
Industrial 19.18%
Consumer 13.78%
Real Estate 6.79%
Cash 3.76%
Resources 1.67%
Other 1.31%


On my other blog I am today writing about Toromont Industries Ltd. (TSX-TIH, OTC-TMTNF) ...continue...

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment