Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Dividend Stocks February 2018

I always update my spreadsheet the week end before I post this entry. I do not have the time to update and post on the same day. Mostly this does not matter. However, the TSX has declined but it has only declined 1.5% since the close of February 2, 2018 so this is not too bad. The TSX was 15605.74 at the close of February 2, 2018 and 15366.83 at the close today February 6, 2018.

First I want to point out that not all of the stocks I follow are great investments. I follow a diverse selection of stocks. There are some that I would never invest in personally. I follow a number of resource stocks even though I personally have little invested in this area. I follow what I find interesting and with resource stocks, I think it is important for Canadians to know what is happening in the resource area. On the other hand I do follow of good number of great dividend growth stocks.

The theory is that you should use the dividend yield to see if a dividend stock is selling at a stock price that is relatively cheap. A stock price is considered cheap if it is selling at a dividend yield higher than the historical high yield or higher than the historical average yield or historical median yield. See my spreadsheet at dividend growth stocks that I just updated for February 2018. On this list,
  • I have 5 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the historical high dividend yield,
  • I have 35 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the historical average dividend yield
  • I have 69 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the historical median dividend yield and
  • 72 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the 5 year average dividend yield.
When I did my list last list in January 2018,
  • I have 2 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the historical high dividend yield,
  • I have 32 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the historical average dividend yield
  • I have 61 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the historical median dividend yield and
  • 60 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the 5 year average dividend yield.
When I did my list in January 2014,
  • I had 9 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the historical high dividend yield,
  • I had 45 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the historical average dividend yield and
  • 39 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the 5 year average dividend yield.
On this list, • I have 5 stock with a dividend yield higher than the historical high dividend yield, • I have 35 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the historical average dividend yield and • I have 69 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the historical median dividend yield and • 72 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the 5 year average dividend yield. When I did my list last list in January 2017 • I have 2 stock with a dividend yield higher than the historical high dividend yield, • I have 32 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the historical average dividend yield and • I have 61 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the historical median dividend yield and • 60 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the 5 year average dividend yield. When I did my list in January 2014, • I had 9 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the historical high dividend yield, • I had 45 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the historical average dividend yield and • 39 stocks with a dividend yield higher than the 5 year average dividend yield.

If you had one share of each stock, total dividends last month would be $161.28. This month dividends would be $163.68. Of the stock that I follow 7 stocks has raised their dividends since last month. The Mullen Group increase is significant as they had cut their dividends in 2014 and again in 2016.

ATCO Ltd (TSX-ACO.X, OTC-ACLLF)
Canadian National Railway (TSX-CNR, NYSE-CNI) Canadian Utilities Ltd (TSX- CU, OTC-CDUAF) Exco Technologies Ltd (TSX-XTC, OTC-EXCOF)

Methanex Corp (TSX-MX, NASDAQ-MEOH) Metro Inc. (TSX-MRU, OTC-MTRAF) Mullen Group (TSX-MTL, OTC-MLLGF)

HNZ Group Inc. (TSX-HNZ, OTC-CDHPF) effective December 29, 2017 has been sold to two purchasers and it has been delisted from the stock exchange. I am now following Industrial Alliance Ins. and Fin. (TSX-IAG, OTC-IDLLF).

Last month the TD Bank says that SmartCentres REIT (TSX-SRU.UN, OTC-CWYUF) have increased their dividend from $1.75 to $1.85. However, I cannot find a press-release or another site that confirms this. I know that the dividend to be paid in January 2018 is still at the old rate of $0.14583 per unit. I have not updated my spreadsheet to show any increase in dividends for this company. This month they say it is $1.72, but as far as I can see it is still $1.75.

Also, of the stocks that I follow, 0 stocks decreased or suspended their dividends.

Most of my stocks started out as Dividend Payers. Currently 15 stocks are not paying any dividends and this would be some 9.68% of the stocks that I follow. Four of these stocks never had dividends, so 7.74% of the stocks I follow have suspended their dividends. The three stocks that never paid dividends are Ballard Power Systems Inc. (TSX-BLD, NASDAQ-BLDP0, Blackberry Ltd. (TSX-BB, NASDAQ-BBRY) and Trigon Metals Inc. (TSX-TM, OTC-PNTZF).

I am showing whether a stock is relatively cheap based on historical high dividend yields (P/Hi), historical average dividend yields (P/Ave), historical median dividend yields (P/Med) or on 5 year median dividend yields (P/5Yr). See these fields on the right side of the file. You can highlight a particular stock using your cursor to highlight the appropriate line.

There are always some stocks to buy because they are priced reasonably. There are always stocks to currently avoid because they are overpriced. Looking at dividend growth stocks that are selling at stock prices that give them a dividend yield above the historical median dividend yield are probably the best bet.

The stocks that are selling at prices that give them a dividend yield above the historical high yield could be good stocks to buy. However, these stocks may be selling so cheap because of current troubles, especially financial troubles and should be treated with caution. Do not forget that I have all the stocks I follow on this spreadsheet and some are much better investments than others.

You should always investigate a stock before you buy. Sometimes different stocks in certain sectors are just out of favour or the stock market is just in one of its declines. However, a stock may be relatively cheap because it has problems. That is why you should always investigate a stock before buying.

Looking at stock this way is equivalent to a stock filter. A main problem I know of is for the old income trusts. These companies have generally lowered their dividend yields forever and they will probably never get back to the old dividend yield highs they made as an income trust company. For these stocks, you might be better comparing the current dividend yield to the 5 year median dividend yield. I also started a column called VT (for Valid Test) and this applies to checking stock price using dividend yield. If not a valid test I use N to show this.

Also, on some stocks I have a lot more information years in my spreadsheets than for other stocks. So, finding a stock on the list as "cheap" is only the first step in finding a stock to buy. This is the same with any other sort of stock filters that you can use.

The last thing to remember is that I have entering figures into a spreadsheet. I could put them in incorrectly, I can transpose figures and I can misread figures. This is another great reason why you should check a stock out before investing. As this is just a filter, it works better on some stocks than on others.

See my entry on my methodology in establishing the historical dividend yield highs and lows for the stocks that I cover. I have an entry on my introduction to Dividend Growth. You might want to look at my original entry on Dividend Growth Stocks. I have also written about why I like Dividend Growth companies.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Exco Technologies Ltd. (TSX-XTC, OTC-EXCOF)... learn more. Next, I will write about Canadian National Railway (TSX-CNR, NYSE-CNI)... learn more on Wednesday, February 7, 2018 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my website for stocks followed and investment notes. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter or StockTwits. I am on Instagram with #walktoronto.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Susan,
    SmartReit just increased their monthly dividend to $0.14583 in November 2017 - highly unlikely they would raise it again so quickly. Must be an error on TD's part.
    Regards,
    MG

    ReplyDelete